||The Acorn Superglide
120 is a personal wireless straight
stair lift, designed for the domestic user.
The Acorn stair lift is powered by direct current, supplied by rechargeable
batteries, which deliver a smooth, ultra-quiet and safe ride quality. The
batteries are maintenance free and charged by a safe 15 volts AC, which is
stepped-down from the domestic mains supply by the transformer.
The advantages of this power supply system are:
- The stair lift remains operative, even if the mains supply is interrupted
- There is no mains voltage to any of the operating parts of the stair
- There are no troublesome trailing mains cables, as with all AC powered
- Allows rapid and simple installation, without mess or disruption
- Delivers smooth and near silent operational characteristics
- Soft Start and Soft Stop means that there is no jolting or lurching
as the lift starts or finishes its journey. This adds to the feeling of safety
|The Superglide 120 stair lift consists of three main components.
The peerless ride quality is attributed to our unique rail profile and chassis
roller system, in conjunction with the DC Power and rack and pinion drive
systems. Typically, other stair lifts feature four, or sometimes six chassis
rollers and a box section rail. The Acorn Superglide stair lift has eight
rollers, giving a surface contact area at least four times greater than competitor
products, which, coupled with our unique double tube rail profile, gives
the smoothest, quietest and most luxurious ride quality currently available,
and a superb feeling of safety and stability when using the stair lift.
- THE RAIL - An extruded and anodised aluminium track, fitted
with a steel toothed rack, which is affixed to the staircase and upon which
the carriage assembly rides.
- THE CARRIAGE - Housing a direct current powered gear motor
and pinion and associated electronic controls, a battery pack and electrical
and mechanical safety equipment. The carriage has a folding footrest attached.
- THE SEAT - An upholstered folding swivel seat assembly, that
comfortably carries the user. Complete with folding seat cushion and armrests
- one of which houses the mechanical controls and diagnostic status lights.
The stair lift has an impressive array of safety features built
in as standard. These include:
The stair lift is controlled by, either the mechanical 'joystick' fitted
to the seat arm, or by way of the infra red remote control handset, two of
which are supplied. The mechanical controls over-ride the remote controls.
The remote controls are ideal when there are 2 users in the house so that
the lift can be 'sent' or 'called' up- and downstairs. The wireless design
means that there is no unsightly wall mounted wiring or control stations.
- Infra red remote control
- Swivel seat with locking catch. The swivel seat ensure easy mounting
and dismounting from the stair lift. The lift will not operate unless the
seat is in the correct riding position.
- Pressure sensitive surfaces that prevent the lift from colliding with
any obstruction on the stairway. These are located around the footrest, and
on the top and bottom of the carriage
- Electronic and mechanical braking systems, to eliminate the possibility
of an uncontrolled descent.
- Limit sensors to ensure that the stair lift always stops in the correct
- Diagnostic status light - Mounted on one arm of the seat, these show
clearly when the lift is in the normal operating position, and also provide
invaluable diagnostic information in the unlikely event of a fault with your
There are a number of accessories available to complement the Acorn
stair lift. These accessories are designed and manufactured to provide comfortable,
practical and cost effective solutions for individuals with additional mobility
and physical flexibility difficulties, or sometimes for more complex stair
These accessories comprise
- Seat Belts - either an inertia reel lap harness or static type,
3 point fixing, over shoulder harness.
- Sit and Stand assembly - allowing the user to ascend/descend
in the standing or seated position and featuring a folding steady/security
- Perching Model - allowing the user to ascend/descend in the
semi-seated position, being particularly useful for individuals who have
limited knee articulation, or for applications where the stairway is particularly
- Hinged rail - The lower section of the rail folds up and out
of the way when not in use, allowing greater access at the foot of the stairs.
A good example of the application of a hinged rail is when there is a doorway
at or near the foot of the stairs, and where a fixed rail would obstruct the
- Bridging Platform - The bridging platform can offer a quick,
cost effective solution to certain types of curved staircase. Good examples
are winding turns right at the top of the stairs, or perhaps a turn on a
flat landing where there are 2 or 3 steps after the turn.
- Jointed Rail - supplied as standard for international shipping,
but has a particular application when the staircase is not readily accessible
from the outside door of the house. The rail is supplied in 2 pieces so that
it can be reassembled on the staircase itself at installation.
The Perch Model Superglide Stair lift
|Occasionally it is not possible to use the
standard Acorn stairlift. Perhaps this is because the stairs are exceptionally
narrow, or because the users legs will not bend enough to allow them to sit
down on the stairlift.
Acorn have especially developed the PERCH MODEL stairlift
to overcome this problem.
The perch model is available at no extra cost. It is
easily operated by the remote control system, or alternatively with the wanderlead
control which can be positioned for your maximum comfort and ease of operation.
As with all Acorn Stairlifts the PERCH MODEL is available now for rapid installation.